Friday, August 14, 2015

Reflection #77: The Class of ‘65

            On September 18 and 19, the members of the Ignatius graduating class of 1965 will convene to celebrate the 50-year anniversary of their graduation.   This has a special significance for me, because this class entered Ignatius the same year that I started teaching math here in the fall of 1961.
My last day as a full-time teacher was in May of 2004.  Two members of the class of ’65, Bob Achille and Jim Luzzi, made it especially memorable.   As I was about to start my last class, there was Bob, sitting in the first seat, first row, the same seat he had occupied on his first day as an Ignatian and my first day as a teacher.  To commemorate my last day, Bob gave me a beautifully inscribed glass “apple”.   Jim, an Ignatius math teacher and our first soccer coach for over 40 years, chronicled events by taking photographs and, later, presenting me with an album.  Both the apple and the album still have a place of honor in my home
            The years from Sept. ’61 to June ’65 were very eventful both at Ignatius and in the outside world.   At Ignatius, one of the more significant events was the dropping of football.  (It was brought back in 2003…if memory serves.)   I would have left St. Ignatius to coach somewhere else if it hadn’t been for the fact that Carmen Pintozzi stayed and coached, cross country and Don Lucas, the A.D., started the baseball team.  They had both been football coaches, and they were my friends.  So I stayed to help coach baseball.  It turned out that we were better in baseball than we had been in football.
            From my vantage point, of far more significance were the changes over the intervening 50 years.  If there are class of ’65 alumni who haven’t been back since graduation, the changes will astound them. 
            There is a “new” gym (well over 40 years old, not counting up-dates), the athletic field, tennis courts, baseball fields, and a theater.  The old 4th-floor gym is now the student library and the old asphalt backyard is now a beautiful garden.  These are by no means the only changes, but that gives you the idea.
            In the so-called “real world”, the class of ’65 were S.I. students when President Kennedy was assassinated and, they were witness, on live television, to Jack Ruby killing Kennedy’s assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald.   During the early ‘60’s, the War in Viet Nam was escalating, which brought about peace demonstrations, largely on college campuses.  In August of 1963, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his famous “I have a dream” speech, which was an important event in the quest for racial equality.
            Finally, but by no means least, there was the escalating tension between the U.S. and Russia.   The Bay of Pigs fiasco and the Cuban missile crisis were just some of the events that marked our history during the years from ’61 to ’65. 
            I’ve heard it said that what makes the “good old days” good is that we survived them.   There’s much truth to that statement.


            To the any members of the class of 1965 who might be interested in joining their former classmates to relive the happier memories, contact Christine Cesak at christine.cesak@ignatius.org or 312-432-8412.

No comments:

Post a Comment