Thursday, October 6, 2011

Reflection #25 (Only 1051 to go!): Odds and Ends


     First, I'd like to thank those of you who extended their congratulations regarding my 50th anniversary. I received several on Facebook, which I read through the courtesy of my daughter, JoAnn. I'm not a member (or whatever people on Facebook are called), but I thank you. Besides alumni, that group included one of my wife's cousins...one of the O'Malley girls, don'cha know. (That sounds better if you read it with a brogue from County Mayo.)
     Additionally, I received congrats from Chris McNamara and Tony D'Sousa. I mention them separately because they were both from the class of '92, and they were the inspiration for my blog regarding Mr. K*. Again, thank you. (*Mr. K = Ray Kizelevicus. One of these days, Ray is going to write one of these blogs. He says it'll be about "THE WALK for IGNATIUS".)

     Secondly (or B), earlier this week, my wife and I spent a most enjoyable day visiting with a couple of great and dear old friends...Bob Gabric and his wife, Pat. Most alumni who can find my blog are likely to be too young to have known Bob; he left Ignatius and coaching in 1979. But he was the varsity basketball coach at St. Ignatius from 1968 to 1979. I was his assistant and the sophomore coach for the first nine years of that stint.
     I think that it's safe to say Bob was a mentor and inspiration to Ron Cygan, Jim Luzzi and me. I have mentioned my admiration for him in previous blogs. Judging from the number of his former players who stay in contact with him, or ask about him, I dare say that Ronny, Jim and I are not alone in our admiration.
     Anyway Bob and Pat have been retired for quite a few years and enjoying the good life in Arizona. They are both in great shape and very active in their community and parish. Bob is still active in athletic activities, mostly golf. I should probably also add that Bob gave me permission to pass along his email address to whoever is interested. I will only do that on a one-by-one basis. If anyone wants to contact him via email, you can contact me at james.spalding@ignatius.org, and I'll send it to you by "reply".
     What we both found interesting was that, though we've only seen each other a half-dozen times since he and Pat left the Chicago area, we picked up our conversation/friendship as if we where chatting following basketball practice in the '70's. I think that is the sign of true friendship. I also was fascinated by how similar our views of life are after all that time apart. Surely, we must both be right!!!
     Also, for those of you that might be interested, Bob highly recommended the book Me and Red, or it might be Red and Me, written by Bill Russell. Bob said it was well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment