Monday, September 5, 2011

Reflection #22 (Only 1054 to go!): My Life Is "Golden"

     I am posting this blog on September 5, 2011 to celebrate. While most of America is celebrating Labor Day, I will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the day that I started working at Saint Ignatius. Back then, it was called Saint Ignatius High School.
     It has been a most wonderful and rewarding experience.  Whether it was the Hand of God or just dumb luck, I can only say a prayer of thanksgiving for my good fortune.  Officially, I retired 7 years ago, but I'm really only semi-retired, since I continue to teach summer school, participate in alumni-related events as well as a host of other school related activities.
     I have had the privilege of teaching and coaching outstanding young people, and interacting with their parents.  I've been blessed to have worked with the likes of Pat O'Mara, Frank Raispis, Bob Gabric, Fr. Mark Link and countless other talented and inspiring colleagues.  By shear dint of their personalities and commitment, I was constantly motivated to do my best.
     My relationship with Saint Ignatius has been more than a job.  It has truly defined my life.  Most of my best friends are teachers, or former teachers, at Ignatius.  The greatest blessing for me is that Ignatius was where I met the lady who became my wife.  Together, Mary Jo and I have raised four terrific children (all Ignatius graduates, I hasten to add), and now we are grandma and grandpa to the 8 most beautiful and intelligent grandchildren God ever put on this Earth.  (That's not just an opinion; that's a fact.)  They're also great athletes. I'm just saying!
     SUFFICE IT TO SAY, I am proud of having been involved in the history of this wonderful school...through the good times and the bad.  I have felt blessed beyond anything I would have had a right to expect.  Today, I will celebrate this anniversary by sitting on my patio with my wife, enjoying a grilled hamburger and a beer...probably a Guinness.  Do I know how to party or what!!!
     Ohh! Wait!  I think the coals are ready.  Happy Labor Day!

1 comment:

  1. I had classes with all the teachers mentioned. Does that make me blessed...or just old?

    ReplyDelete